Especially wonderful with spring green asparagus, sugar snap peas and fresh basil pesto but feel free to use baby broccoli, broccoli rabe, baby zucchini which ever green vegetable are your favorites. In this particular fried rice dish I used basmati rice but you could use a short grain white, brown or even a black rice which is featured in another one of our recipes http://188.8.131.52/black-rice-farro-vegetable-medley/…love the color combinations. I made the rice in the morning then spread it out on a cookie sheet and put it in the fridge for the day to duplicate day old rice. But if you have leftover rice from Chinese take out night that works perfectly as well.
- 1/2 cup of basil pesto, room temperature
- 1 serrano chile, seeds and stem removed, sliced
- 2 c cooked rice
- 1 bunch of asparagus, sliced on the diagonal in 1/2 ” pieces
- 1 c frozen peas, thawed
- 6 oz sugar snap peas, removed the stem and pull down the side string, slice in diagonal 1/2 ” pieces
- 3 T olive oil
- 1/2 c chopped roasted pistachio nuts
- 1/2 c crumbled feta
- 1 spring onion or the white part of a leek or 2 scallions, sliced diagonally in 1/4″ pieces
- 1 t Herb & Garlic Sous Salt and pepper to taste
In a large non stick skillet heat 2 T of olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of Sous Salt in to the oil. Heat to medium high. Add the spring onions and the serrano chili or whichever aromatic you are using and saute until wilted. Then add the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes. Add the sugar snap peas and cook for 1 minute. Remove the vegetables.
Add the remaining Tablespoon of olive oil and add the rice, pressing down to make a single layer to brown the rice slightly. Reduce the heat once you add the rice to medium. Don’t push it around, let it cook, undisturbed for a good 6 minutes.
Once the rice has a little color on it add the reserved vegetables and the peas to the rice and continue to cook until the peas are heated through. Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the pesto and the feta. The warmth will melt the feta perfectly. Sprinkle with the pistachios.
Add the remaining Sous Salt and Pepper to taste.